Friday, October 28, 2016

Born on the Same Day - 1/17/1915

Today I'm starting a new series called "Born on the Same Day", featuring players who were born on the same day (!) and year. The scope of this exercise is those players (or managers) who have cards in the 1965-1970 sets (because that's what I dooze). Ideally, I should also have their cards.

In researching this, I found 51 pairs and 2 trios. In a few pairs both are stars, some pairs have 1 star, and other pairs are just 2 guys named Joe. In a few cases, these players were also teammates. 

I am going to post these in chronological order, and distribute them across my 1966-1970 blogs depending on which cards I have for who. 


So with chronology in mind, first up is the only pair of managers: Mayo Smith and Luman Harris, both born on 1/17/1915.


Lum Harris played for the Philadelphia Athletics from 1941 to 1946, except for the 1945 season while he was in military service. Coincidentally, Mayo Smith's only MLB season was in 1945... for the Athletics. So they missed each other by a year.

No comments: